Self care is the latest buzzword. Everyone from Precious Lee to Beyoncé is talking about it. But what is self care and how can you give it a go?
Self care definition : Self care is care provided “for you, by you.” It’s about identifying your own needs and taking steps to meet them. It is taking the time to do some of the activities that nurture you. Self care is about taking proper care of yourself and treating yourself as kindly as you treat others.
As a student I see people neglecting their personal needs on a daily basis. It’s so easy in today’s world to not get enough sleep and forget to drink enough water. It doesn’t matter how old you are or what job you have, every body needs a break and the tools to make sure they’re okay and that they can look after themselves.
Basically you need to learn how to evaluate what your body and mind needs. That might be a quiet walk by yourself or a plate full of vegetables. Maybe you need to get rid of some toxic people or habits.
You need to learn to listen to yourself and make your needs a priority. If you’re worried about becoming selfish:
1) Everyone has to be a bit selfish sometimes
2) You have to be feeling good in yourself to do anything productive or help anyone else.
Here are a few easy peasy self care tips for you to try. You can also find some links at the end which might provide more detailed information about self care:
- Get at least one early night a week
- Drink water. You hear it from e v e r y b o d y, and it seriously helps
- Take some guilt free time off
- Dress up for yourself. Put on your favourite outfit that makes you feel like a million dollars.
- Do some form of exercise – anything
- Get outside – fresh air and sun (maybe)
- Learn and practice that no is a complete sentence
- Cook yourself a nutritious meal
- Shower / bath with your favourite bubbles
Mind – http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/mental-health-problems-introduction/self-care/#.WKtbdPnyjIU
Self Care Forum – http://www.selfcareforum.org/
Self Care tips by Lucy Moon – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamqK8P3WfI&t=144s
A Self Care Revolution TEDx Talk by Megan McCormick – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKKJapwUXc