I have only been blogging seriously for around 9 months now. I have fallen in love with it. In this post, I am going to try and convince you to start your own. The majority of readers probably already have their own blog. But if you don’t, why not?! Blogging is interesting, helps develop lots of skills and most importantly is very enjoyable.
So, here we go! 10 Reasons to Start Blogging:
1) A platform to express your own ideas and opinions (and get feedback!) – if you get an itch about something that’s frustrating or even exciting, you can write about it. Whether that’s a new beauty product, piece of sports equipment, bad driving or poor customer service. You can spill your thoughts onto the keyboard.
2) Interact with people of similar interests – it’s a great way to get tips and ideas from others, for example if you want some help with your vegetable patch or how to make the perfect Crème Brule, blogging is a great way to find out more about your hobbies and how to improve. As well as allowing you to share your experiences, successes (and failures) with fellow bloggers and readers.
3) Drives your passions and motivates you– as a student who is trying to get onto the career ladder, I find blogging is a great way to keep me motivated and engaged with issues I feel passionate about. You often have to do some research before writing a piece, which helps me keep in touch with current affairs.
4) Develops your creativity and writing skills– blogging helps push you to use your creative skills by thinking of interesting topics to talk about. Sometimes you hit writers block, but that’s natural. Blogging is also brilliant for developing your writing skills for example, stretching your vocabulary.
5) Builds a positive online presence– we all know that one of the first things employers do these days when recruiting, is Google your name. To see what they can find out about you. It’s crucial to think carefully about everything you put online. Once it’s out there, there is no going back (even if you delete it!). By creating a blog, you can give your employer a pleasant surprise! It is a good way to build your personal brand and stand out from the crowd.
6) Inspires you- blogging is a great way to inspire you to think differently, learn about new things and encourages you to try and understand different viewpoints. I often talk about the power social media has to make a difference, blogging definitely comes under this! If you’re recently involved with a new project or passionate about a campaign, you can blog about it and help raise awareness.
7) Access to people, businesses and projects you wouldn’t otherwise have met– bloggers come from all over the world, different backgrounds and experiences. Blogging is a great way to talk to people you never would have had the chance to. More and more businesses and projects are starting blogs, you may be able to interact with them directly and learn more about what they do. Note: this may also open up doors for internships, volunteering and even job opportunities!
8)You could help someone- Many bloggers may write about experiences and situations which can help others hugely, such as parenting blogs. You could help others just by talking about your own personal failures or achievements, isn’t that amazing?
9) Records personal progress– A blog is almost like an online diary. Now you may want to avoid the very personal details of your life, as you don’t want to regret putting things out there that maybe in 5 years time you’ll regret. But in terms of monitoring your personal progress and seeing how far you’ve come over a period of time, it can be really rewarding.
10) It’s fun– the most important reason! It is so much fun. It’s rewarding and it will benefit you in so many different ways. It’s free, easy and you have so much freedom. You can blog when you like and about whatever you wish!
I say go for it! As long as you’re reasonably careful and put some thought into it, you’ve got nothing to lose.
Some useful sites: